What are you looking for?
Monday 10 April 2017

Healthy Date and Oatmeal Cookies


I feel as though I used to bake a lot more than I do now but my weekends unfortunately aren't as free as they used to be, so I just don't have as much time to cook meals and bake as well. Maybe that's a good thing though, as I had remotely no interest in 'healthy' baking and would use tons and tons of butter and refined sugars. Which is cool, apart from when you're baking every Saturday, eat half the batch, and have a metabolism as bad as mine. Anyway, so today I just had an urge for some cookies so whipped up a batch of these oaty bites. The recipe comes from:
https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/oatmeal-date-cookies-vegan-gf/

Recipe:
1 cup rolled old fashioned oats
3/4 cup oat flour
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil, in liquid state
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup chopped Medjool dates
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

I missed out the walnuts and didn't have any coconut sugar so used just over 1/3 cup of honey (no maple syrup).I did however, add in some desicnated coconut.

I baked these for 12 minutes on gas mark 4 which was more than long enough and they came out almost an orange colour?! Nonetheless they still tasted good. I'm not sure if there was too much baking powder/soda because I could definitely taste it. Other than that, I would 100% make these again. So tasty and a healthy alternative when you want something sweet.

Add your comment