What are you looking for?
Tuesday 13 August 2019

'Rustic' Vegan Tofu Black Bean Burritos

So, before I begin I should probably highlight that these would work much better if I simply used shop bought wraps. Instead, I decided I had too much time on my hands and made them from scratch. However, these actually didn't go quite to plan, hence the 'rustic' appearance. Nonetheless, I ended up making a not only nutritious, but very tasty meal, so a win win for me.

So in terms of the recipe, I just made the recipe up as I went along really, but it seemed to work, (minus the wraps, which turned out more like crispy flatbreads) so here I am to share it!

For the crispy tofu:

1 block tofu (I used The Tofoo Co. Smoked Tofu)
1 tbsp. BBQ sauce
2 tsps. liquid seasoning

1. Pre heat your oven to 180/gas mark 6
2. Chop your tofu into bite sized chunks and place on a baking tray
3. Coat your tofu in the BBQ sauce and liquid seasoning
4. Place your tofu into the hot oven and place on the middle shelf for 10/15 minutes before turning.
5. After another 10/15 minutes removed tofu from the oven once crisp.

For the black beans:

1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
oil for frying
1 tin of black beans, drained and washed
2 tsps. fajita seasoning
2 tsps. spicy Cajun seasoning
2 tsps. tomato puree

1. Heat up 1 tsps. oil for frying
2. Finely dice your onion and garlic
3. Once your oil is hot, add in your onion and garlic along with seasoning
4. Drain your tin of pre cooked black beans and rinse
5. Add to your onion and garlic along with the tomato puree
6. Fry off for approx. 10 minutes until warmed through
7. Add in your precooked rice and heat for a further 10 minutes.


For the cashew 'cheese' sauce.

150g cashews (soaked)
2 tsps. liquid seasoning
2 tbsps. nutritional yeast
approx.. 150ml of water in which cashews were soaked in (start with less and add as the sauce is blending).

1. Soak your cashews in water (I use boiling) - the longer the better here, I tend to do this for a couple of hours.
2. Once soaked, add to your blender with seasoning and nutritional yeast until creamy and smooth.

The construction:

Once all your fillings are prepared, simply add them to your wrap and wrap! Note this is also where any other additional fillings can added i.e. salsa, guacamole, salad, dairy free cheese etc.

To seal the wrap in an attempt to stop all filling falling loose, place the closing in a hot frying pan for a minute.





Add your comment