What are you looking for?
Thursday 30 March 2017

Spicy Black Bean and Squash Vegan Enchiladas




My love affair with Mexican food began after visiting Wahaca and I've been dying to go again ever since. However, there's not one in my town so I've had to make do with my own attempts for now. How authentic my dishes actually are, I don't know...but probably not very.  Nonetheless, these enchiladas taste so good (even if I do say so myself), and are 100% vegan. This recipe makes around 6 enchiladas so serves around 3 people.  So I kind of made the recipe up as I went along apart from the tortillas, in which I use a flatbread recipe as found here:
http://www.recipetineats.com/easy-soft-flatbread-yeast/

300g plain flour (all purpose flour)
1/2 tsp salt
50g butter (1.75 oz)

185 ml milk
1/2 tbsp oil (for cooking)

(I just used dairy free butter and unsweetened almond milk for vegan alternatives here).

For the tomato/enchilada sauce:
This sauce is more so of a passata as opposed to an enchilada sauce as I've come across on other enchilada recipes but it still worked for me.

Ingredients:
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1/2 red onion 
2 cloves of diced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsps smoked paprika
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 fresh chopped red chilli
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. Dice your onion and garlic cloves and fry on a low/medium heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add seasonings and chopped chilli.
3. Add in your tin of chopped tomatoes and heat through for 10 or so minutes.
4. Leave to cool slightly before adding the mixture to a food processor and blending until smooth.
5. Once blended, add back to the saucepan and leave to simmer.

For the black bean/squash filling:
Ingredients:
1/2 red onion
2 cloves of diced garlic
1 tin of black beans
1 small squash 
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground chilli
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. Peel and prepare your squash, dicing into small squares.
2. Add to boiling water for about 20 minutes or so, until softened.
3. Drain and leave to one side.
4. Dice your onion and garlic cloves and fry on a low/medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Rinse your tin of black beans and add to onion and garlic.
6. Add seasonings and cooked squash, then heat through for approximately 10 minutes.

To ensemble enchiladas:
1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6
2. To each tortilla add around 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce and a 1/6th of the squash bean mixture, before wrapping and laying in an ovenproof dish.
3. Repeat for all 6 tortillas, until dish is full.
4. Use remaining sauce over the enchiladas and grate over some vegan cheese.
5. Place in [reheated oven for around 30 minutes. 





Add your comment