What are you looking for?
Sunday 16 August 2020

Chocolate Chip Shortbread Biscuits

In our now very 'plant based friendly' supermarkets, it seems more difficult to not to find vegan/free from alternatives to all of our favourites, than to actually find them (well, over here in the UK at least).

Something however, that I am yet to find is a buttery tin of vegan shortbread biscuits (that don't fall apart!), so when I found a recipe, I was very excited to give them a go. I feel as though I have definitely become less adventurous with my baking in recent months, and often find myself making the same recipe for chocolate chunk cookies - which should I add, may sound boring but they always work... Yes, I guess baking shortbread isn't anything all too impressive, or in fact adventurous either, but I don't recall ever having made shortbread since going vegan. I found the recipe on Wallflower Kitchen, which was titled 'Dairy free Chocolate Chip Shortbread', but they also happen to be vegan, so no egg alternatives had to be used either.

The recipe calls for just 6 simple ingredients and an easy method, which turned out a complete success! The only thing I would say is that if you choose to use chocolate chunks as oppose to chips, as I did, make sure they're not too large.

  • 200 g dairy-free butter, (make sure it's a good tasting one!)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100 g caster sugar
  • 300 g plain flour, sifted
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
  • 75 g dark chocolate chips, (dairy-free)







Add your comment