What are you looking for?
Sunday 14 June 2020

Vegan "Fish" Tacos

Having a scroll through School Night Vegan's blog, I came across a recipe for "Vegan Fish Tacos", whereby banana blossom was being used as the "fish". I'd heard of this rather interesting ingredient before, but had (spoiler alert, I still haven't!) never got round to trying before. Banana blossom is the flower that is found growing at the end of a banana. Some quick research told me that it is often I found out that it is traditionally used in South East Asian cuisine. 

Feeling excited and inspired, I took a trip to my local Sainsbury's for a manic hunt to try and get my hands on some. However, unfortunately, this elusive ingredient was nowhere to be found... It is supposedly found in a can, stored in water but neither the canned/world foods/free from aisles seemed to stock any. I'm definitely keen to try it still nonetheless, so it might just have to be an online order situation.

Regardless, I was still set on the idea of fish tacos so I decided to used tofu as the replacement.  A few months ago I posted a recipe for Vegan "Fish" & Chips, where I used tofu as the "fish". I remember noting that I needed more seasoning and I struggled to stick the nori sheets to the tofu. I took this on board and decided to slice my tofu into smaller chunks so they would be more bite sized for the tacos. For my batter I used fish seasoning (no real fish involved!) which made all the difference. 

I served the tofu in homemade soft tacos with mayo, Nando's peri sauce, and sauerkraut which worked perfectly. 





Add your comment