What are you looking for?
Saturday 4 April 2020

Butter Tofu Curry

Since the whole world has gone absolutely crazy I feel like I just haven’t been cooking as much, but rather just snacking... all day long. It’s only very recently that I, and I'm sure many others, feel as though I’m over the whole ‘shock’ stage of this all and I’m slowing finding a routine again which for me involves starting to get back into cooking real meals. 

Now, I used to make a butter tofu curry a few years back but I seemed to have misplaced the recipe (oops). As a result I just ended up experimenting with my own, which turned out great...well according to my two sources. Anyway, I’m not claiming this is authentic in any sense but I thought it would be fun to share my take on my favourite curry dish.

You will need:
600g tofu (approx 1.5 blocks), drained and pressed

For the sauce:
400g chopped tomatoes
200ml coconut milk 
200ml veg stock
2 red onions
3 gloves garlic
2 green chillis
2 tbsp. tomato purée 
Thumb size piece of ginger 
2 tbsp. hot curry powder
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. cumin 
2 tbsp dairy free butter butter 

For the tofu marinade:
2 tbsp. tomato purée
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. ginger paste or crushed ginger
1 tbsp. garlic paste or crushed garlic 
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp oil 

Method
1.  Press your tofu block. This will remove any excess liquid and create a firmer texture. I usually do this about 2 hours before I start making the fish. 
2. Create your marinade by mixing together your tomato paste, lemon, oil, curry powder, garlic and ginger purée. 
3. Cut your tofu into 2cm cubes and coat in marinade. Place in the fridge. 
4. Finely chop your onion, garlic and chilli for your sauce. This does not have to be perfect as it will all be blended up. 
5. In a saucepan, heat up a tbsp. oil and throw in your onion, garlic and chilli along with your seasoning on to a medium heat.
6. Fry off for 10 minutes, adding water if necessary to prevent sticking. 
7. Add in your chopped tomatoes and stir. 
8. Blitz with a hand blended until smooth. 
9. Add in your vegetable stock and coconut milk. 
10. Leave to simmer on a low heat for approx 20 mins. Be sure to add more stock if you find your sauce getting too thick. 
11. Remove your tofu from the fridge and heat 1 tbsp. oil in a frying pan. 
12. Once your oil is hot, fry your tofu on a medium heat until golden on each side. 
13. Add your tofu to your curry sauce, along with your butter (I used Flora dairy free buttery). 
14. Leave to simmer for another 10 minutes and plate up! 
15. Optional (sprinkle with coriander or serve with greens/flatbread/rice.





Add your comment