What are you looking for?
Tuesday 7 February 2017

Apple, Ginger and Date Granola


Anyone who knows me well, will tell you how much I love granola. I could snack on granola all day if I could. However, after a bit of research, I soon realised it was a lot healthier and sometimes cheaper to make your own. As a result, a few years ago, I found Samantha Maria's Banana Nut Granola recipe video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v_S-O-LCYA&t=190s) and have often been making my own ever since. I'll sometimes follow the recipe to the tee but the great thing is how adaptable it is. Don't get me wrong, my homemade granola isn't completely sugar free but contains far less than certain shop brought brands I have tried and at least you know the ingredients are all natural. I won't lie, this time around I kind of went off tangent with the recipe and well, didn't follow all too much of it. However, the result was amazing and I'll definitely be making this combination again.

Ingredients:


3 cups oats

1/3 cup oil (I just used olive)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chia seeds
2 apples (grated)
A handful of dates
2 tsp ginger 
2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Method:


1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 5.

2. Grate your apple in a bowl large enough to fit the rest of the ingredients in.
3. Chop up your dates (I used around a handful) and add to the grated apples.
4. Add in your oil, honey, chia seeds, cinnamon and ginger, then mix.
5. Slowly add in your oats. (The texture of the granola shouldn't be too dry if you want it to form clusters and have a crunch. I used 3 cups but this depends on the size of the apples you use).
6. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and evenly spread your granola.
7. Bake in the middle shelf for around 20 minutes then turn it to cook on the other side for a further 20 minutes. 
8. Remove from the oven and cool!

Add your comment