What are you looking for?
Tuesday 7 February 2017

Mocha Orange Porridge

My friend will always laugh when I tell her all the sorts of things I put in my porridge. If I'm honest, I can't really remember the last time it was just a case of oats and milk with a bit of sugar on top. My usual 'add ons' include fruit, some sort of seed/nut, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla extract, peanut butter, ginger etc etc you get the idea. In keeping of my experimental oats, a while ago, I came across a recipe for mocha granola and added some orange zest to it. It's now become one of my favourite breakfast recipes so this morning I thought I would experiment with making it into a porridge. 

Ingredients:

250 ml milk (I used soya but feel free to use any kind)
70g oats
1 tablespoon instant coffee
The juice and peel of 1 orange
1-2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 2 but it came out a it too rich so maybe reduce to 1 1/2?...)
2 tablespoons honey/ sweetener of choice

Method:
1. Heat up your milk on a low heat with your coffee granules until dissolved.
2. Add your oats and stir until mixed in. 
3. Add in your cocoa powder, sweetener and the juice and zest of 1 orange.
4. Cook for around 15 minutes, occasionally stirring when required.
5. (Optional) Sprinkle over any remaining orange zest for decoration. 





Add your comment