What are you looking for?
Wednesday 11 March 2020

Pretzel Style Burger Buns

I love a good burger, be it a meat substitute or one packed with veggies, I'm all over it. Favourite fillings include fried onions, loads and loads of mayo, hummus and rocket for future reference...

Anyway, I realised I was yet to try out much from Rachel Ama's Vegan Eats, so thought I’d have a look at any burger recipes she had. I came across a recipe for jerk aubergine burgers which initially really jumped out at me as it's not something I'd ever thought of myself.

I  had the full intention to share the recipe for said aubergine burgers, but shortly after I started cooking I realised they didn’t amount to all that much for a dinner. The concept was the have the aubergine as the main “meaty” element of the burger, but in hindsight that wasn’t really going to fill me up. In a panic I switched to my trusty Vegan 100 and found a recipe for pretzel style buns (I feel like I should just rename this blog Yasmin tries out all 100 of Gaz Oakley's recipes...). My theory behind this was that making my own bread would possibly bulk the meal out a little more, which it did and was in fact a success! In terms of the aubergine burgers I think I’ll give them a go another time, but maybe as sliders? Or as a BBQ side, so that’s maybe something to expect in the summer time. But in the meantime here’s the recipe for pretzel style buns.

Ingredients

Makes 6 large buns:
8g active dried yeast
240ml lukewarm water, plus a little extra
500g strong white bread flour
pinch sea salt
50g vegan butter, melted
2 tbsp. dark brown soft sugar

For the glaze:
1 tbsp. almond milk

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil


2 tsp agave nectar
1 tsp rock salt

You can find the full recipe in Gaz Oakley's Vegan 100.

Add your comment