What are you looking for?
Wednesday 6 November 2019

Mixed Vegetable Crumble



To be completely honest, I’ve been struggling for inspiration with after work meals because as we all know the last thing anyone wants to be doing after a long day in the office is to be slaving away in the kitchen. So when I saw how much leftover veg we had lying around the house, vegetable crumble sprang to mind!


You can really use up any veg you've got in and play about with this one. I personally used aubergine, butternut squash and sweet potato but you could get easily use peppers, courgette, parsnips, onion etc etc. Again, I’ll be completely honest. I can’t say I 100% followed a recipe for this but took tips and tricks from various recipes to create this 'there's nothing in the cupboard' meal!

For the veg:

1/2 medium aubergine
1/2 medium butternut squash
1 medium sweet potato 
1 tbsp. oil (I used coconut)
1 tbsp sumac season it
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp rosemary
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp tomato purée 
100ml crème fraiche (I used the Oatly dairy free variety)

For the crumble topping:

150g wholemeal flour
75g dairy free butter/margarine (I used Flora)
40g vegan parmesan
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 6/200 degrees C.
  2. Chop your veg into even squares to ensure they all cook through at the same time.
  3. Place your veg on a baking tray and coat with oil and seasoning.
  4. Place in the oven for approx. 30 mins until veg is cooked through.
  5. In the meantime, combine your butter, flour, parmesan, salt & pepper to create your crumble and place to one side.
  6. Once your veg is cooked, place in a saucepan with your crème fraiche and tomato purée and stir through for 5 minutes, ensuring all veg is evenly coated.
  7. Transfer your veg into an oven proof dish and sprinkle over crumble.
  8. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until browned.
I came across quite a few recipes that used a white sauce, but to keep things simple I used crème fraiche, but a diary free white sauce will definitely be something to experiment with when I have more time.















Add your comment