What are you looking for?
Tuesday 17 September 2019

Fancy Sprouts ft Tofu

Before I start this post I should probably note that this recipe may sound like a complete horror story to many (!), but hear me out before you turn your noses up.

Now brussels sprouts have always been a firm favourite vegetable of mine, so you can probably imagine my excitement as a child when I found out you could buy them nearly all year round and not just at Christmas... Ever since, I've been trying to find new ways of how I can cook them and I think I can safely say I'm on to a winner. 

Again, tofu is another... let’s say ‘funny’ one. When I first tried it I can’t say I was a fan, but with a bit of experimentation it’s become another real staple of mine.

So, put two and two together and you have a crispy, salty, smoky and most importantly delicious combination of sprouts and tofu! Not convinced? Try out this simple and quick recipe, and if you’re still not keen send the remainders directly my way.

All you’ll need for this recipe:

Oil for frying
1 red onion (sliced)
2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
1 tbsps liquid seasoning
2 tsps English mustard
Garlic salt to taste
Chilli flakes to taste
2 servings of brussels sprouts (fresh or frozen approx. 180g)
1/2 pack Cauldron marinated tofu or any other ready seasoned firm diced tofu.

1. Heat your oil in a non stick frying pan.
2. Slice your small red onion.
3. Once your oil is heated, add your sliced onion along with liquid seasoning, garlic salt and chilli flakes.
4. Put your brussels on to boil.
5. Once your onions are fried down (the longer the better I should note), add your tofu and fry for a further 5/10 minutes until crisp.
6. Once fried, take your now cooked brussels off the heat and drain.
7. Add your brussels and mustard into your onion and tofu.
8. Combine everything in the pan and fry for another 5 minutes.

And it's really quite that basic. This dish is definitely one I'll be serving up at the annual Christmas dinner party, and I'm almost certain it will make those who supposedly hate sprouts think again.













Add your comment