What are you looking for?
Friday 6 September 2019

Toasted Almond Halva

It was about two years ago when I discovered my new favourite treat, when I was to find a tub of halva in the kitchen cupboard. Now, I can only assume that it did not miraculously appear there, but rather my brother who brought it home as something new to try. Regardless, it has now become a staple in my life, possibly too much so. I imagine that UK shop brought halva is far from authentic, but from what I have gathered, the base ingredients in this desert/ sweet snack are tahini (hulled sesame seeds), flour and sugar/sweetener. Although there are many variations of this confect depending on where you are in the world.

Surprisingly, I had never made halva before, despite how much I love it and how simple the ingredients really are. I followed the below recipe from Jamie Geller, which I converted into metric measurements: 


  • 2 cups honey
  • 1 1/2 cups tahini, well stirred to combine
  • Up to 2 cups toasted sliced almonds or other nuts (optional)
See the full recipe in the link below:

https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/israeli-halva/


As precited this was so simple to make! It was slightly less flaky than halva I have tried before, but just as good. The only thing I would say is to maybe only use 1 1/2 cups of honey/sugar if you don't have as much of a sweet tooth as I do.

 




Add your comment