What are you looking for?
Saturday 2 May 2020

Vegan Pesto Mozzarella Arancini Balls

I recently came across the amazing Richard Makin, a plant based food blogger who goes under the name of School Night Vegan. I'm not sure how I have only made this discovery, but I'm definitely glad I did! I instantly fell in love with his Vegan Arancini with Pesto & Mozzarella recipe and knew I had to give it a go! 

I first tried Arancini at London's Vegan Nights event from The Arancini Brothers around a year ago, but I'm yet to find a vegan version of the dish closer to home Why not make my own then I suppose?!

The recipe had a fair few ingredients, but I feel as though this could be drastically reduced if you choose to use shop bought pesto and mozzarella. This is where I confess I didn't get round to making my own mozzarella, but with the valid excuse that I didn't fancy searching around for tapioca starch during a pandemic... Nonetheless, these came out incredible, even if I do say so myself. The recipe was simple to follow and they were full of flavour. They definitely needed a bit more crunch to coating, but I think this might have been to do with me not using enough oil. I served mine with a homemade tomato sauce, but I'm sure they would have just as nice by themselves. This is definitely one for me to try again and I can't wait to explore more of Richard's recipes. 

For the Risotto
1L water (boiling)
1.5 tbsp bouillon powder (make sure it's a vegan variety)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (finely diced or crushed)
215g arborio rice
65ml white wine (vegan)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp nutritional yeast

For the Pesto
30g fresh basil (stalks & leaves)
30g pine nuts (toasted in a dry pan)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1.5 tbsp water

For the Vegan Mozzarella (I used shop bought)
110g Silken Tofu
70ml oat milk
1/4 tbsp garlic powder
1/5 tsp fine sea salt
25g odourless coconut oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
3 tbsp tapioca starch
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

For the Coating
3 tbsp gram flour
10 tbsp plant milk
80g breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
vegetable oil (for frying)

Please see the full recipe below:





Add your comment